Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Portrait of Semih Tareen

I took some photos of film-maker and music composer, Semih Tareen, a while back for the Daily. He was coming out with a new horror film, Yellow, which was shown at the Seattle Film Festival back in May.
Anyway, being a film-maker and all, he had some experience with lighting and equipment (which I did not at the time) and with our collaborative knowledge and experience, the photo-shoot turned out pretty sweet.

Here is the photo that ran:

The photo definitely works. but I really like the photos below better because his film Yellow was inspired by giallo films (giallo is actually italian for yellow), which incorporate dramatic and colorful lighting like below.

Although an awesome photo, I felt like it didn't portray him in the way that he was meant to be. Imean, he's a horror film-maker, not a murdering psychopath. Nevertheless, the shadows are sweet.

..and here is the photo that should've ran instead (and also portrayed him the way I think he was meant to be. his "essence" shall we say):

Unfortunately, the reason the 2nd or 3rd photo didn't run is because the paper ran in black and white and not color. I begged for the paper to run in color, but I was told there was nothing that could've been done...

Argh.


His film: Yellow
and his website as well: http://www.semihtareen.com/

No comments: